Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2009

...this is what it sounds like when doves cry

--On left, a Petah Coyne piece

This was a Jacquard loom project that went a little awry. I was using plastic bags as my weft. I used a heat gun to manipulate the weave, to bulge it and break it.

I went into this second hand store once that displayed its wedding dresses by hanging them from the ceiling. It was eerie, like some congegration of jilted brides hovering and floating above my head. It got me thinking about hope chests that were never emptied, lockets never filled, unrequited love etc. So I made this piece. It's definitely pathetic and sad, I can say I channeled those energies just fine.

I think I was looking at Petah Coyne too much. It just looks like a cheap imitation to me anymore. I want to call it This Is What It Sounds Like, When Doves Cry...

No comments:

Post a Comment